Hello world!

Welcome to the site for Costa Botes and Lone Pine Films.

Feel free to poke around, starting with the About page, or jump onto any page that looks interesting.

About Costa Botes

I'm a freelance film maker based in Wellington, New Zealand. I make mainly long form independent documentaries about characters I find interesting.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Hello world!

1. Congratulations, the first step to being a Universal Film Maker with a paying audience! Rock ON!

2. david klein says:

Costa—BIG things ahead…..I am very confident about this…..

3. Lisa Noble says:

Hi Costa, great you’ve got the WordPress site up, it’s a step in the right direction. Look forward to seeing how it evolves, and also to catching up with you in Wellington soon. Best, Lisa x

4. Tony Stuart says:

Hello Costa
    Tracey and I have just finished watching the films you sent us, I love the world through your eyes. without a doubt you rate as one of my most favorite film makers……
    Tony

5. Tim Frater says:

Costa
    Back in the 1970s or ’80s I remember seeing a NZ tv documentary about the discovery of a lost city on the West Coast, where an extravagant feature film with a huge cast was made. At the end of the hour-long documentary it was revealed that the whole thing was a hoax. I was thinking about it today and wondered whether I could find anything on the net about it. I searched ‘nz film documentary hoax’ and voila! reference to your 1995 documentary with Peter Jackson, ‘Forgotten Silver’, appeared. As I have been in Oz since 1988, I wasn’t even aware of your documentary which, I understand, included the ‘lost city discovery.’
    From the reports, it sounds like you had a lot of fun making it, but at the same time ruined some people’s fantasies. Tch tch.
    Tim Frater, Perth WA

• Costa Botes says:

This rates as a puzzler. To my knowledge there was never a documentary made in the 1970’s/80’s as you describe. As you say, Forgotten Silver was made in 1995. To be fair to Peter and I, yes it was fun making it, but a lot of people have had fun watching it too – which was the intention. Not to ruin peoples fantasies. The claims made in this ‘mockumentary’ were so preposterous, it was frankly incredible to me that anyone could have believed them. It’s a work of entertainment. But perhaps an illustration that the ‘medium is the message’. The dead on parody of documentary conventions did prove too convincing for those who wanted to believe. Perhaps those people got a valuable lesson?

6. Sophie Weeks says:

Hello, what are the chances of being able to either promote or show a preview of Lost Dogs at the Scott Polar Research Institute (England) in October 2011?

7. Scotty Stewart says:

Hello Costa
    I’m a Kiwi living in London. I rather like all husky type dogs and have just found out about The Last Dogs of Winter. Is it possible to buy this on DVD anywhere? Or are you having any showings in the UK?
    Thanks
    Scotty Stewart

• Costa Botes says:

There will be a screening at The Point, Eastleigh, in December. I am interested in facilitating more cinema screenings if anyone is keen enough to organise a large enough group and a suitably equipped theatre. It’s easier than you might think. Regarding DVD, I am holding off until well into next year, though the chances of it ever being picked up by a commercial distributor are very slim, so I will probably just sell it off my web site.